November 3, 2017
With the fall season in full gear, Dana Fry and Jason Straka have been busy traversing the world, aligning new developments, as well as taking great strides forward in their ongoing projects. Following are just a few of the notable happenings for Fry/Straka Global Golf Course Design in recent months:
Fry/Straka in the News
- The redesign of Los Robles Greens Golf Course in Thousand Oaks, Calif. was featured in Golfdom’s September 2017 issue cover story, “Less Turf or Better Turf?”.
- Jason Straka provided insight into various advances in technology in Golf Inc.’s September/October 2017 issue focused on “Innovations in Golf Course Construction”.
Ongoing Project Updates
- The bold and innovative design for The South Course at Arcadia Bluffs is progressing along, with all grassing nearing completion. A soft opening is slated for late summer of 2018 and the grand opening will be in early summer of 2019. Dana Fry recently spoke with The Golf Channel’s Matt Ginella: Everything You Need to Know about Arcadia Bluff’s New Course.
- Design planning for the new 18-hole golf course outside of Sao Paulo,Brazil is on target to be wrapped up in November, with construction documents expected to be completed near the end of the year.
- The planning stage for Belleair Country Club’s renovation of its historic golf courses has begun in earnest. With permitting slated for 2018 – 2019, the first course and practice facilities are expected to be complete in 2020, and the second course in 2022.
- Although recently affected by Hurricane Irma, West Bay Club’s renovation has now gone out to bid and is still on target for construction to be initiated in April 2018.
- Fry/Straka will be undertaking a new 27-hole project outside Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam. More details to follow shortly.
- With the ASGCA’s 2018 annual meeting on the horizon, Jason Straka and the Education Committee have been diligently working on developing the program for the event to be held in Houston.
- Jason Straka, as Executive Committee President of the Ohio Turfgrass Foundation, has also been involved with the planning of the 2017 OTF Conference and Show to be held in the Greater Columbus Convention Center on December 4-7, 2017.